Cases up by 6 130, death toll hits 2 529


Health Minister Zweli Mkhize released the latest round of COVID-19 statistics on Monday 29 June, and confirmed that a further 6 130 cases had been reported along with 73 more deaths having occurred since Sunday.

These increases over the past 24-hours bring the total number of cases to 144 264, with 2 529 people now having succumbed to the virus since March.

Mkhize noted that 70 614 people have successfully recovered after becoming infected with COVID-19, meaning that there are currently 73 650 active cases on South Africa’s plate as of Monday.

There have been a total of 1 596 995 tests completed since March, with 29 911 tests completed in the last 24-hours.

Provincial COVID-19 cases:

The following confirmed COVID-19 cases have been detected in each province as of Monday 29 June: 

  • Gauteng – 39 841 cases;
  • Western Cape – 61 375 cases; 
  • KwaZulu-Natal – 9 041 cases; 
  • Free State – 1 377 cases; 
  • Eastern Cape – 26 195 cases; 
  • Limpopo – 1 011 cases; 
  • Mpumalanga – 1 089 cases; 
  • North West – 3 931 cases; 
  • Northern Cape – 404 cases; and 
  • Unknown – cases. 

Gauteng cases spiking rapidly

Mkhize warned of an exponential rise in cases over the next few days as South Africa moves towards the peak of infections. Gauteng’s caseload increase is due to inward migration, and the Department of health has said that the increase in cases can be attributed to congregating of people, high densities in metros and inward migration of people.

He said that provincial health services are preparing for the large increases in cases, that he believes is likely to boost Gauteng to the country’s worst affected province in terms of active cases in the next few days, by implementing the following:

  • Ramping up testing and hospital bed capacity;
  • Clear the testing backlog;
  • Strengthen early case detection, contact tracing, isolation and quarantine.





Source link

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *